Friday 6 January 2012

Day 1: Arrival!

After months of waiting, I couldn't believe that the day had finally arrived for me to go to Harlaxton. I had seen all of the pictures online, and I had talked to past Harlaxton students, but nothing could prepare me for the surprises that today had in store for me.
When my flight landed in London after traveling 8 hours and 3950 miles, I quickly rushed through immigration along with about 80 of my fellow classmates.
Grabbing a "trolley" for my luggage and being asked to board a "coach" were my first reminders that I was no longer the good ole' U.S.A. and that I wouldn't be returning there for four whole months. At that point, a 2.5 hour bus ride was all that stood between me and the stunning "castle" that I would soon call home. I enjoyed watching the sunrise and catching glimpses of the English countryside with its rolling, green hills, herds of sheep, and quaint little farm houses. But soon, my anticipation started to build as we finally reached the long driveway that led to Harlaxton Manor. 
I've always heard that people are in complete awe when they see it for the first time, and I couldn't think of a better way to describe that feeling. The manor looked even more beautiful than I had ever imagined. We were eagerly welcomed by the staff, and I was so surprised when they released us to go exploring wherever we pleased.  I enjoyed walking through the manor's beautiful grounds and discovering its magnificant architecture. I still don't know my way around, but I'm excited to learn more about my new home.
Harlaxton College: the British campus of the University of Evansville
Me and my new home
A sunny day was perfect for exploring the grounds.
One of the many Harlaxton lions
A sneak peek of the inside of the manor (look for more in upcoming blog posts) 

No comments:

Post a Comment