Monday 2 April 2012

Field Trip: London

On Friday, all of the Harlaxton students took a field trip to London. We got up early and took a three hour coach ride to our destination. First, I was supposed to go to the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery in Trafalgar square. I'm not a huge art connaisseur, but it was kind of cool to see the paintings that we've been talking about in British Studies class in person. I was also excited to spot Monet's water lilies and several Van Gogh paintings.
After the art museums, my friend and I ate out packed lunches outside. The weather was beautiful, but I didn't enjoy being surrounded by pigeons!
Next we walked for half an our and made our way to St. Paul's cathedral. On our way, my friend and I were excited to find a little sweet shop that sold American sodas and candy. We've been craving our American goodies! :)
At 2pm, our professors gave us tours in St. Paul's. The cathedral was absolutely beautiful! I wish that I could've taken pictures. The ceilings had beautiful mosaics. I climbed a spiral staircase to reach the Whispering Gallery (Which is a balcony level that is near the top of the dome). The curved walls allow you to whisper to someone on the other side of the dome.
After grabbing some dinner, we walked along the Thames and hopped on our coaches back to Harlaxton. It was my last trip to London for the semsester, and I'm going to miss it very much.
St. Paul's Cathedral



On Saturday night, we had a costume ball at Harlaxton! My roommates and I had fun getting dressed up and seeing everyone's costumes. After dinner, we danced the night away in the Great Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment