Tuesday 28 February 2012

Guten Tag München!

My trip to Munich began early on Friday morning when my two friends and I hopped on the train to London.  From there we took an hour-long plane ride to Memmigen, Germany (which was the closest town to Munich where we could find cheap plane tickets). We took a taxi from the airport to a nearby train station. My first glimpse of Germany was the picturesque little white houses with red tile roofs. Next, we took a train from Memmigen to Munich. While it was a long train ride, we enjoyed seeing the countryside and were incredibly excited to see the beautiful Alps off in the distance!
I finally arrived in Munich and we were able to easily locate our hostel where we'd be staying for the weekend. Exhausted from a full day of travel, we still made time to visit the iconic Hofbrauhaus (one of Munich's most famous beer halls). I enjoyed a traditional German meal of a bratwurst, sauerkraut, and the most delicious soft pretzel I've ever eaten. The atmosphere in the Hofbrauhaus was incredible, with a live band playing German folk songs and every table full of people enjoying, drinking, and having a good time.
My delicious dinner!

The inside of Hofbrauhaus
The next day, my friends and I took a free walking tour through the city. Our first stop was the Marienplatz, where we watched the Glockenspiel and saw the new and old town halls.
The Glockenspiel. At certain times of the day, music plays and the characters move.

Marienplatz and the Old Town Hall

The new town hall

We got to go inside some beautiful churches, including one where the current pope is from. 

The Munich opera house, which is right next to Residenz (the former residence of the German monarchs).


One of the many beautiful old buildings.

One of the famous towers on St. Mary's Church. Sadly, the other one was being renovated when we visited so it was covered in scaffolding.
My friends and I had a great time exploring Munich. I wish that we could have stayed longer, but it was still great to get a little taste of German culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment